Pest infestations are usually a surprise to home owners, renters, and to business owners. However, this does not always have to be the case. We know the most common things that attract pests. In this article, we are looking at some of the most common things around your home that attract pests to your space that can be avoided.
Keep In Mind
Pests are just small creatures that have basic needs also. They need food and water and shelter, but them using our homes for these needs can be quite annoying. Many pests play a critical role in our ecosystems, so it is not just possible to eliminate them all from the area.
There are a few simple precautions you can take to minimize the exposure pests will have:
- Firstly, eliminate any areas where trash is stored on a regular basis. The failure to keep your trash regularly taken out will cause a build-up of the scent and that attracts small pests, such as ants, flies, and gnats.
- Always make sure to keep your trash covered. This includes the outdoor trash. If your larger trash bins are open that will invite a larger group of pests and critters to come take a look around. Once they find the larger source, they are almost certain to find an entry point into your home.
- Seal all of your food into airtight containers. An exception to this rule is fruit. If fruit is kept in an airtight container too long it will start to mold. Once the fruit if fully ripe store it in the refrigerator. Keep all of your produce tightly sealed in your fridge. Squeezing lemon juice over the exposed areas to maintain freshness and prevent bacteria growth.
- Clean up any water that spills onto the counter tops or floors. Water spilt like this can attract a scout ant. If the scout ant goes back to the colony and reports this find, there could be a future invasion to follow. Prevention of this is the best solution in this case.
- If you see any or know of any places a pest could probably enter your home through, seal any openings that would allow pests to enter your property. You can use caulk or any other sealing methods you prefer to keep pests out of your home. However, there are some entry points that are not visible. You might need professional assistance to deal with these areas.
Things That Attract Pests
Dirty Dishes are a big attraction to pests. Putting away dishes on your counter top should be a main priority. Insects such as flies, ants, and cockroaches are highly attracted to leftover food on dishes. Cleaning your counters, sinks, tables, and floors everyday should become a common practice. It is a way to prevent bugs from being attracted to your home.
Piles of paper are breeding grounds for pests. Paper that is rarely touched and that is old, such as books, letters, and junk mail are favorites for pests like silverfish and cockroaches. They are attracted to the cellulose and they feed on it. Getting airtight storage for your documents is a good way to combat this.
Birdseed is a big one. Though it is meant to be far less attractive, it can draw in bigger pests such as squirrels, raccoons, opossums, and skunks. Moths are a very common insect that feeds on grain. The Indian Meal Moth’s favorite snack is bird seed. A home owner inadvertently brings them into their home by purchasing a bag of bird seed that is infested. Moth larvae can be living in the bag of seed and their house can soon be infested by moths. Bird seen should be stored securely in a plastic bin.
These are just some of the most common pest attractions found in and around the home. These can be easily avoided if the steps are taken. The tips in this article will help you avoid an infestation by some unwanted guests.